Re: browsing files in huge projects emacs

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: browsing files in huge projects emacs
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:08:28 +0200

anurag Ramdasan <aranurag220@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> I have been using Vim for a while although I would shift to E..macs
> for Org-mode and Slime. When I end up working on a huge project with
> hundreds or even thousands of files, I found the nerdtree vim plugin
> to be the best thing to suit my ways. Also I find dired a little
> difficult to browse through.
>
> So when I recently gave thoughts to completely moving to emacs, I
> couldn't find anything as good as Nerdtree. I did find dirtree but it
> didn't seem as easy to use as nerdtree. This made me wonder, how do
> most emacs users navigate through huge projects? Is there some common
> practice or some plugin that I haven't heard of yet? Also I use both
> vim and emacs from the terminal and not the GUI client.

There's M-x speedbar RET too.

But honestly, in my projects, I know them my files by name.  So I have a
command set-sources which lets me specify the root directory for my
project, and a command sources-find-file-named which let me open a file by
name (including completion), whatever subdirectory it's in (or presents
a menu if there are several files with the same name).

I never need to "browse" properly.

https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/emacs/source/b58a0a336b46f3523700931117b409307b13d9b0:pjb-sources.el#L3277
https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/emacs/source/b58a0a336b46f3523700931117b409307b13d9b0:pjb-sources.el#L3307

(Current version builds a file list in set-sources ; it should be
improved to update it automatically when files change).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/