Re: Declaring a local dynamic variable?

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Declaring a local dynamic variable?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 06:24:32 +0000

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Am 27.09.2013 22:18, schrieb Pascal J. Bourguignon:
> [ ... ]
>>
>> The conclusion is that in emacs lisp you have to prefix ALL the symbols!
>> Which clearly demonstrates a failure of the language.
>>

> Resp. of it's implementation.
>
> Why not uniquify --instead of prefixing-- under the hood?

As has already been pointed out in this thread, Emacs does have (via
cl-lib or more specifically cl-macs) a version of `declare' whose
special-variable declarations are respected by the byte compiler.  So
it's a solved problem; I don't understand why Pascal and others are
NIHing it and then complaining about the deficiencies of Emacs Lisp.

The general usefulness of this functionality, however, does make me
wonder why it's still stuck in the cl namespace.  It seems like a prime
candidate for promotion to subr or similar.

--
Regards,
WGG