Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 10:59:33 +0200

wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse) writes:

>> mbox gets the best result, and it makes sense (no
>> threading the same mail etc.), *but* it goes on only
>> for 30 messages (that are all very recent). Perhaps
>> some message isn't sound, and it works from the
>> present, and back, and it gets stuck on that?
>
> Sounds like a likely guess.  I would cross-check with
> RMAIL to see what that 31st message is, and perhaps
> quarantine it temporarily, moving it to another file
> to see if you can continue.

Good thinking, but it wasn't that. When I started all
this ruckus, I made a copy of the RMAIL file to bring it
out of the havoc.

But by now, I had forgot about it, so those 30 mails
were the correct number (in the new file). I should have
known that by now, (just ask Assange), *no* good deed
goes unpunished...

Of course, good news is, there is nothing wrong with the
respooler.

But:

> If you have old mail in an RMAIL file, you can open the
> entire RMAIL file in Gnus with G f
> (`gnus-group-make-doc-group') and "respool" it with M P
> a (mark all)

No matter how hard I looked (I even used Google!), I
couldn't find any mark all or M P a shortcut. So I wrote
this

(defun gnus-summary-respool-all ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((lines (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))))
    (beginning-of-buffer)
    (gnus-summary-respool-article
     lines
     (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") )))

Anyway, *thanks so much*! Usenet and mail with one
interface (with message mode, .mailrc, etc. already
perfect), and now also shell access to the mails
(instead of that T-Rex RMAIL file), this is something
that I've visualized for *years*.

*sob*

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573