Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:14:05 +0300

> From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 11:40:00 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> shell access to the mails (instead of that T-Rex RMAIL file)
> >
> > There's nothing wrong with Rmail in this respect, it's
> > your usage of it that was broken or at least
> > sub-optimal.
>
> Wrong (see below).

Not wrong (see below).

> > E.g., I use Rmail for the last 20 years
>
> We can disagree without having to pull rank.

There's nothing wrong in citing a long experience.

> Because this was a misunderstanding, I'm not going to be angry about
> it.

Likewise.

> That's *size* is not the point. The problem is it is
> only *one* file.

If you read my description, you now know that it's not one file, but
multiple files.

> I want *one file per mail*. That way, I
> can employ all my shell tools, and my Emacs shortcuts,
> in a faster and more refined way.

I also explained how to employ tools, perhaps not yours, but
nonetheless very useful, to manage and search mail archives without
having to put each message on a separate file (which IMO is just the
opposite extreme of having them all in a single file, and thus
similarly inefficient and inconvenient).

> But your advice are, I'm sure, beneficial for Rmail users.

Sure hope so.