Re: beginner questions

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 10:11:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:00:40 PM UTC+5:30, Pascal J. Bourguignon >
> M-x customize-variable RET blink-matching-paren RET
>

> M-x customize-variable RET default-major-mode RET
>

> You should also set auto-mode-alist
>    (setq auto-mode-alist '(("." . fundamental-mode)))

[To Pascal]
Why do you part recommend customize and part setq??

[Asking because I belong to the camp that dislikes customize but still
sometimes is forced to use it]

[To John]
If you tell us what editor(s) you have used/like the advice you get can be more
precise.