Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: emacs 24.3.50 freezing in unusable state.
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:04:01 +0100

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:21:17 +0200
Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 30.09.2013 um 09:38 schrieb Sharon Kimble:
>
> > However, I have just downloaded and
> > installed the latest emacs-snapshot, currently at 24.3.50.1, and
> > that has started and loaded perfectly okay!
>
> This *can* indicate that you are still using buggy GNU Emacs source
> code for building. (I fetch mine with bzr.)
>
> Anyway, you have now the option to invoke report-emacs-bug or choose
> from the Help menu "Send Bug Report…". The eMail it creates has two
> interesting items for you: the configure options used to build that
> binary, which you could reuse for your own attempts to build a
> development (i.e., unstable, not guaranteed to work) version of GNU
> Emacs, and later a section "Load-path shadows". This is a list of
> ELisp files that override the default GNU Emacs Lisp files. It is
> possible that some of these "shadowing" files cause the error. The
> following code, put into some init file (your's or the system's),
> will report in the *Messages* buffer which ELisp file was loaded
> before the freeze happened:
>
>       (defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
>         (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Lade jetzt: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))
>
> The German "Lade jetzt" means "Now loading". You could also insert
> into your init file
>
>       (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> that an ELisp debugger is started when an error is caught. It opens a
> *Backtrace* window in which, from bottom to top, it is listed how it
> happened that the error occurred.
>
> In the case of a freeze it's of course best the *Messages* or the
> *Backtrace* buffer is displayed –  maybe this works by setting
> dedicated frame or window, but I have no idea how to achieve this. (I
> would probably use a (switch-to-buffer "*Messages*) statement before
> every line provoking a load of ELisp.)

Sorry Pete, I didn’t explain myself fully. The emacs-snapshot comes from
'http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/' which is a repository to give .deb
files which are pre-compiled and ready to be used once installed using
the debian package manager. I hope this clarifies it now?

Thanks
Sharon.
- --
my git repo = https://github.com/boudiccas/dots
Debian stable, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice  4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 561944