Re: help! Keep getting emacs locked up / not responding to c-g / having

From: unfrostedpoptart
Subject: Re: help! Keep getting emacs locked up / not responding to c-g / having to kill process
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 09:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:44:22 AM UTC-7, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> unfrostedpoptart <david@> writes:
> > However, lately (including 15 minutes ago) I've been hitting this and
> > c-g does nothing and ps shows emacs at around 95% cpu.  As this is a
> > shared server, that doesn't make me popular with other users!
>
> As Drew mentioned, it's hard to guess who the culprit is without more details
> (recipe).
> Anyway, in Unices you can force Emacs into the debugger, even if not
> responsive, by sending SIGUSR2:
>
>   pkill -SIGUSR2 emacs
> Using the debugger, you hopefully should be able to see where Emacs loops.

Thanks guys!  I ran kill -l to look for something like Michael just suggested
but didn't know what the different signals meant.  I'll try this.

Also, I'll try a big cleanup of my init.el.  It's been evolving for over 20
years since 18.57!  Every new emacs release, I try and clean it up some for
deprecated functions and code that's not needed anymore because of new,
built-in functions.  I know I have a lot of ugly stuff related to shell-mode
and I'l see if I can remove most of it.

 David