Re: whatever came of emacs conference, tutorials, get-together, etc?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: whatever came of emacs conference, tutorials, get-together, etc?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 21:51:07 +0200

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> whatever came of emacs conference, tutorials,
> get-together, etc?

Good question! I always want to meet and discuss with
people that do the same as I (are active within the same
field). But for whatever reason, this feeling is often
not mutual.

I was once active in a Linux community in my home
city. Almost every day, I wrote short messages on their
listbot, about Linux, shell hacks, Emacs, etc. After
some time, they warned me that if I kept it up sending
"odd material" (?) to their listbot, they'd ban me for
"two months".

It *never* cease to amaze me, when I go to the gym,
people are happy to see me, and everyone want to train
with me, etc., but when I go to some computer community,
there are always lots of people who get very frustrated,
"you take that techno-techno-science to the streets,
punk!", more or less.

I think a big part of the people, maybe 20-30% of any
computer community has a destructive outlook on
activity, and on life in general. But note that I am
very aware of the 80-70% who are great, so no one should
take offence if they feel in their hearts they are not
like the people I describe.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573