Re: Questions about parser state

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Questions about parser state
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 18:08:30 +0800

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> 1. What does the "quote character" mean?  Does it mean "'" in Lisp?  If
>>    so, what about "," and "#"?
>
> No, it's typically the \ char.
>
>> 2. What is comment style ‘a’?  In (info "(elisp) Syntax Flags"): "A
>>    comment style is a set of flags ‘b’, ‘c’, and ‘n’, so there can be up
>>    to 8 different comment styles."  I can't find an ‘a’ style.
>
> `a' is the comment style when neither `b' nor `c' is present.

I see, thank you.  To make it clearer, what about the following patch?

=== modified file 'doc/lispref/syntax.texi'
*** doc/lispref/syntax.texi    2013-10-03 15:32:10 +0000
--- doc/lispref/syntax.texi    2013-10-05 10:07:16 +0000
***************
*** 339,349 ****
  @cindex comment style
  Emacs supports several comment styles simultaneously in any one syntax
  table.  A comment style is a set of flags @samp{b}, @samp{c}, and
! @samp{n}, so there can be up to 8 different comment styles.
! Each comment delimiter has a style and only matches comment delimiters
! of the same style.  Thus if a comment starts with the comment-start
! sequence of style ``bn'', it will extend until the next matching
! comment-end sequence of style ``bn''.

  The appropriate comment syntax settings for C++ can be as follows:

--- 339,350 ----
! @samp{n}, so there can be up to 8 different comment styles.  When
! neither @samp{b} nor @samp{c} is present, the comment style is
! @samp{a}.  Each comment delimiter has a style and only matches comment
! delimiters of the same style.  Thus if a comment starts with the
! comment-start sequence of style ``bn'', it will extend until the next
! matching comment-end sequence of style ``bn''.

  The appropriate comment syntax settings for C++ can be as follows:

***************
*** 838,844 ****

  @item
  @cindex quote character
! @code{t} if the end point is just after a quote character.

  @item
  The minimum parenthesis depth encountered during this scan.
--- 839,845 ----

  @item
  @cindex quote character
! @code{t} if the end point is just after an escape-syntax character.