Re: Load file and return evaluation result (instead of t)?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Load file and return evaluation result (instead of t)?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 00:30:03 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

>  ,----------------------------------------------
>  | load returns t if the file loads successfully
>  `----------------------------------------------
>
> but I would rather like to write a (big) Elisp expression into a file,
> load the file, and get the expression's return value instead of just
> 't'.

You could find the file, use `read' to get the expression, and `eval'
it.  That's probably the canonical way.

Or you could, instead of just saving an expression to a file, save a
sexp that evals the expression and stores it to a global variable.  Then
after loading the file, this variable is bound to the result of the
evaluated expression.

Regards,

Michael.