Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:39:09 +0200

Am 11.10.2013 00:18, schrieb Bob Proulx:
Andreas Röhler wrote:
Maybe the story of bazaar versus git tells something for this case too?

I don't think that applies here.  If you use bazaar for version
control then everyone needs to use it to interact with your project.
Same thing for git.  If you use git then everyone needs to use git to
interact with your project.  Today git is very popular and so everyone
[ ... ]

Which precisely points at the question.

BTW I'm using bazaar daily and I like it. It's much easier for beginners than
git etc.
Git isn't and wasn't the better one per se - nonetheless bazaar lost the race.

While still preferring Emacs, not Vim, there are comparable setbacks.

Bazaar is blamed being slow, Emacs is blamed that.

There are felt inconsistencies, which I wouldn't expect at Vim.

It might be my mistake, `defvar' for example seems to have changed it's meaning
since Emacs-23.

While it was used to initialize a global variable, now it's told to signal a
dynamic scope WRT to let-bound ones - which is quite a different issue.
Emacs Lisp was fast to hack, as variables must not be passed around explicitly. If I must defvar every let-bound, that's much more to write and also confusing, as a global var might not be intended.