Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:39:40 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs was written in 1985, so it will be 30 years old
> soon.  I think it can go on another 30 years :-)

Well, no disrespect to the 1985 people, but didn't
countless of people work on Emacs, every single day
since, and still do?

I know RMS was the sole maintainer for a long time. Is
there any data on how many people, from what countries,
etc., etc., worked on Emacs? Where did it start? Some
Lispers at MIT?

I know that Emacs-w3m is done by Japanese programmers.

On Usenet, most people seem to be from northern
Europe. (I have to admit that Sweden's contribution
cannot compare to our neighbours. That's why *I* am so
active, ha ha.) USA, of course.

The excellent Russian (and ex-USSR) and the very skilled
Latino hackers are not here, for the ridiculous reason
they are not comfortable with the English language!
That's a huge loss for *us*, so *speak*!

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573