How to merge from branch with vc-svn?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: How to merge from branch with vc-svn?
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:55:18 -0700 (PDT)

I work on two branches in an svn repo.  I opened a vc-dir buffer looking at the
production branch.  I typed C-x v m to invoke merge, then entered
^/branches/development at the "from revision" prompt, then kept the default "."
response to the "to revision" prompt.

But that wasn't the right thing to do it seems.  What should I have done
instead?

(I wanted to execute the equivalent of the command line "svn merge
^/branches/development" in the production branch working copy.  In fact, I will
now go and do it from the command line.)

Thanks,
Kai