Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 21:23:27 +0200

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

> What you call "Windows" is just one of many window
> systems that has come in and out of fashion during the
> lifetime of Emacs. Emacs (in one version or another)
> has supported most of them, SunView, NeWS, X10, X11
> (Open Look, Athena, Motif), PM, Win32, Mac. Emacs has
> provided a sound foundation that has allowed
> programmers to be productive with all these, and will
> also provide a foundation for whatever window system
> will be hot tomorrow.

The way I see it, Emacs doesn't have that much to do
with all that. I don't use Emacs because I use an OS
with (or without) a GUI or a window system, I use Emacs
(and the shell) to get away from all that, and if I
*were* to use Emacs in X, I don't see that changing my
Emacs ways. But yes, there have to be some very minor
changes (or things enabled) that have mostly to do with
the interface - the clipboard is a good example, do you
want that integrated with the kill ring? Perhaps, if you
write LaTeX, you'd like xpdf (or evince) in a separate
window to display updates (almost) on the
fly. Installation, the fonts... But all that stuff would
still be considered minor, don't you think?

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573