Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Christopher Ritsen
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:25:59 -0400

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 12:04:24PM +0100, Phillip Lord wrote:
> It's not that uncommon I suspect. I use vim for most systems
> adminstration. I do as little sys admin as I can get away with, so I
> don't use vim every day!

The common refrain seems to be that people use vim over emacs on remote servers
they don't control where it is usually installed by default, but I was referring
to being willing to take the time to configure the programs themselves to be as
useful as possible to me for whatever they are best at.  Right now, that is
strictly org-mode for emacs, and vim for most of my text-editing and coding.
I'm not planning on dropping one for the other, but my assumption is that most
people wouldn't want or have the time to configure both (especially if it's not
possible to use either at work) and lose objectivity about using the best tool
for the job.  I want to avoid that.