About `char' in momentary-string-display

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: About `char' in momentary-string-display
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:06:39 +0800

Hi,

In (info "(elisp) Temporary Displays"):

 -- Function: momentary-string-display string position &optional char
          message
[...]
     Thus, typing CHAR will simply remove the string from the display,
     while typing (say) `C-f' will remove the string from the display
     and later (presumably) move point forward.  The argument CHAR is a
     space by default.

I tried evaluating ‘(momentary-string-display "foo" 1)’ in the *scratch*
buffer and typed ‘C-f’, but the point didn't move forward.  Instead, a
‘[6]’ is echoed in the *Messages* buffer.  I don't know what the ‘[6]’
stands for, but the codepoint for ^F is #x6 (ACK).  So I think there may
be a link between them.

But anyway, why didn't the point move forward (the point wasn't at eob)?

(I searched the archives, but didn't get anything that looked promising.)

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/