Re: Quickly Viewing Files in a File List, and then Quickly Closing

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Quickly Viewing Files in a File List, and then Quickly Closing
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:38:08 +0800

Eric Brown <eric.c.brown@mac.com> writes:

> I am looking for a "QuickLook" feature for Emacs. For example, when
> scrolling through a file list in dired (or sunrise commander):
>
>  - is it possible to automatically show the contents of the file under
>    point in a second window? But if point is moved, quickly move along
>    and show the next file/image whatnot?
>
>  - is there a "hold-down-button" to view, and let off button to resume
>    browsing the file list?
>
> I currently use C-x 1 or C-x o q approaches, but I usually end up with
> e a bunch of buffers or sore fingers when going through many files.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions?  I apologize if the answer is sitting in
> the Emacs manual.

Dired has some very nice shortcuts for this sort of thing: If you hit
"v" on a file, you'll visit it in view mode, which means you can hit "q"
to close it. So looking quickly though a bunch of text files just means
bouncing between "n", "v" and "q". I think view mode is great.

Also check "o" and "C-o" -- the latter might be all you need. Other than
that, it wouldn't be too hard to write something like a "follow mode"
for dired. If it closed the files afterwards that would be nice.