Re: contractor resources for emacs extension development

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: contractor resources for emacs extension development
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:57:06 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> I have them in my configuration file. Is it supposed to work if no
>> headling is present?
>
> Yes, because the trick I used is to temporarily convert this
> line:
>
> ,---------------------------
> | --text follows this line--
> `---------------------------
>
> into a first-level Org-mode heading to make outorg work.
>
> I assumed that this line is always present in message-mode between the
> header and the body, so there is always at least one heading (created
> in the background by outorg).
>
> Is that line present in your case?

Yes.

Here is a backtrace of the error:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "before first heading")
|   signal(error ("before first heading"))
|   error("before first heading")
|   outline-back-to-heading(INVISIBLE-OK)
|   (save-excursion (outline-back-to-heading (quote INVISIBLE-OK)) (setq
outorg-code-buffer-beg-of-subtree-marker (point-marker)))
|   outorg-edit-as-org(nil)
|   call-interactively(outorg-edit-as-org record nil)
|   command-execute(outorg-edit-as-org record)
`----

Looking at the "outline-back-to-heading" code, I don't see how your
trick works. Printing 'outline-regexp' yields "> [*]+ " which makes
sense in message mode.

(Later.)

I think I found the problem, looking at the code for
outorg-edit-as-org. It seems that you explicitly check for
message-mode, but I write my email using mu4e, and then the major mode
is mu4e-compose-mode. Is there a way to apply
'outorg-prepare-message-mode-buffer-for-editing' for other modes than
message mode? (Editing the code seems to be the only way I see.)

Thanks,

Alan