Re: Emacs mailreader that doesn't move the spool

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: Emacs mailreader that doesn't move the spool
Date: 23 Oct 2013 22:02:32 GMT

Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> wrote:

> Yes, it is possible - I read my mail via a local IMAP server
> (dovecot). I don't do anything special and leave the mail as the
> default mbox. I can switch between mutt and Emacs, if I want to (but
> have never tried them both at the same time because of mbox
> contention). To be explicit, in my case, mutt isn't configured to read
> via IMAP but Emacs is, and the mail is in /var/spool/mail
>
> Of course, an advantage to using an IMAP server is it means you can
> sometimes use one mail client and sometimes use another, which seems
> to be something you like to do.

Yes, I already have an IMAP daemon setup for users, so I could use it
locally also.

Well...I suppose I could consider it a wishlist request for VM and/or
Gnus then:  It would be nice if they could do in-place file locking of
the system mail spool, like Mutt and Alpine do.  Maybe in a future
version?  :)

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent