Re: X keyboard settings (was keyboard macro)

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: X keyboard settings (was keyboard macro)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 18:02:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:29:45 PM UTC+5:30, Jürgen Sauermann wrote:
> I have seen this segfault with setxkbmap happening when the keycodes are
> do not fit in one byte (which is the case for all Unicode APL characters).
>
> ⍝ Jürgen

Great to see the author of gnu apl out here!
My question is really quite simple and someone familiar with xmodmap (or moral
equivalents) should be able to solve it very easily:

1. X seems to have 8 modifiers which are mappable

2. Most keyboards have a large number of keys used typically as modifiers
eg AltGr (right alt) right-win; also 'menu' which can be used as a dead key
[Yeah this is not very portable as the laptop on which I am writing this does
not have the usual scroll lock and numlock etc.  I dont think portability of
keyboard usage is the issue right now.

3. I believe though not sure that emacs has the capability to deal with 'hyper'
'super' etc.

So its only a question of taking one of these unused modifer keysyms and doing
some xmodmap or setxkbmap magic to send these.