Re: inconsistent file ordering for remote vs local dired

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: inconsistent file ordering for remote vs local dired
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:02:58 +0100

gottlieb@nyu.edu writes:

Hi Allen,

> My systems run gnu-linux (gentoo) and emacs 24.3.
>
> Consider a directory DIR with just two files: lower and Upper.
>   /bin/ls DIR the files in the order "lower upper".
>   emacs -Q dired DIR also lists them in the order "lower Upper".
>
> But emacs -Q dired /localhost:DIR lists them in the order
> "Upper lower".
>
> How can I make them use the same ordering?

This is solved in the recent Emacs trunk. You could upgrade to that
developer version Emacs 24.3.50, or use the latest Tramp release 2.2.8.

I've tried to find the change which made it happen, but there is no
obvious one. So I cannot offer you a patch for the builtin Tramp version
of Emacs 24.3.

> thanks,
> allan

Best regards, Michael.