Re: Precompiled Emacs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Precompiled Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:32:32 +0100

Johan Andersson wrote:

> Well, the thing is that I don't want to install it there. I guess it's not
> possible to compile Emacs, archive it, move to another machine and there
> "make install" to the desired prefix?

Hm.  On Windows, you can just unpack the zip file in any directory and
run it from there.  So there must be code in Emacs that knows to find
the other directories based on where you unzipped the zip file.  But I
confess that I don't know any details.

At least load-path and data-directory need to be set to the correct
values, I don't know how that works.  But you could study the source
code to see.

However, it may be easier if you just designate a specific directory to
be the root directory of your packages, then tell folks to make sure
that directory exists.  Or you tell them to create a symlink pointing to
the real Emacs.

For example, if you say that /opt/sw/<packagename> is the root directory
that packages expect, then folks can install in
/home/mumble/programs/emacs-23.4 and create a symlink /opt/sw/emacs
pointing to /home/mumble/programs/emacs-23.4 and off they go.  (Or they
install in /opt/sw/emacs in the first place; this may be even easier.)

Sorry that I've not invested the time to study the source code myself.

./kai