Re: Precompiled Emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Precompiled Emacs
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:35:28 +0000

I didn't know the answer to this, so I tried it out. Sadly, the answer
is yes, including in the make file as far as I can see. The only reason
that Emacs normally works in this way is because it's already installed.

I tried doing ./configure like so...

./configure --without-all --prefix=/tmp --exec-prefix=/tmp

with the hope that the built emacs could be transferred to another
machine and then make installed, but that doesn't work (I don't quite
know why). Besides you would now be dependent on the build tools which
change over time as others have said.

For travis, I think the best option is to use a PPA and install into
that. Emacs does support multiple minor version installations. But, you
lose multiple platform testing.

Other than that I am all out of ideas!

Phil