Using string-rectangle more than once

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Using string-rectangle more than once
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 16:36:48 +0100

Hello,

Since not so long, I've discovered `string-rectangle' to replace rectangle
contents (each line of it) with some string.

That works perfectly the first time, but I have problem for the second one...

Suppose I want to replace `-' by `+' in the following list:

- First
- Second

I call `C-x r t' on the right region (for example, a colon of two-chars wide),
and type `+ ' as the replacement string.

+ First
+ Second

Now, I want to replace the `+' and the following space by nothing: I want to
remove the "list" aspect.

I do select the same region, call `C-x r t', and have to type the empty string.
But pressing RET selects the default, that is the last replacement string...
which is not empty.

How to pass an empty string, then?

Best regards,
  Seb