Re: Problem quoting expression to be eval'ed by emacsclient

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Problem quoting expression to be eval'ed by emacsclient
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 16:44:16 +0100

Eli,

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: "Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
>> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:59:24 +0100
>>
>> So, here, in my case, I almost only use `emacsclient' from "sendpatch", a
>> shell
>> script (I wrote) which automates the sending of a diff per email, for other
>> colleagues to review and see what we commit in our SVN server.
>
> So you are using emacsclient as EDITOR, which is what it is for.

Good.

>>> Why do you need Cygwin executables on your PATH?
>>
>> You mean from PATH as seen in a CMD shell?  Or from a Bash shell?
>
> Both, and also why you need that in Emacs.
>
>> I need the Cygwin executables them all the time in my Bash sessions.
>
> You can set up your Bash sessions so that when you are in Bash,
> Cygwin's bin directory is on PATH, but when you are in cmd or Emacs,
> it is not.  There's no necessity to have a single PATH in all your
> sessions.

Those remarks are orthogonal to my problem, but they make sense.

In Emacs, at the end, I would have Cygwin's bin directory in my PATH, only when
Bash would be used as `shell-file-name'.

>> And I need the Cygwin executables from Emacs as well (for the `M-x
>> find-grep-dired' or `M-x rgrep' commands, among others, which I use quite
>> extensively -- `rgrep', at least). And, there, I need them to be before the
>> default Windows executable, because of `find' (which also exist in
>> c:\Windows\system32).
>
> To avoid the problem with 'find', have the directory where the GNU
> 'find' lives appear before c:\Windows\system32 in PATH.  After all,
> chances of you wanting to invoke the Windows 'find' are nil, right?

Right!

> As for grep, there's a native Windows port around, so no need to go
> Cygwin when you use Emacs.

OK. I have to take a lot at that.

>> > As for the v23 vs v24 emacsclient issue, you could have emacsclient23
>> > and emacsclient24 (scripts, aliases, whatever) to DTRT for each one.
>>
>> Yes, but the question arises from the fact that `sendpatch' has no way to
>> detect (does it?) which Emacs server version is currently running, so which
>> `emacsclient' it has to call.
>
> I presume that you already have some arrangements to work with 2 Emacs
> versions, so that it should be easy to put something in the
> environment in each case, such that 'sendpatch' could look at that and
> decide.

FYI, I've tried running the Emacs-W32 version present in Cygwin. The look and
feel is absolutely the same as the native Windows binary. That's great.

Though, some things don't work anymore (such as "fancy splitting" in Gnus). I
have no idea why at this stage. I'll need a couple of hours to try and
understand what's going on -- though, right now, I'm back using the native
Windows application made available by Dani.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban