Re: [Gnus] persistent marks

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [Gnus] persistent marks
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 10:33:18 +0800

ernobe <ernobe@yahoo.com> writes:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>>
>> I use Gnus all the time (right now, for example) and
>> that is possible, make no mistake about it. Only... I
>> don't understand what "that" is. Do you want to remove
>> read articles (i.e., those marked with "R") or the other
>> way around, would you like to *keep* them?
>>
>> Also, you know of gnu.emacs.gnus, I take it?
>
> gnu.emacs.gnus was the first group I posted to with Gnus, but something
> went horribly wrong and apparently the post is irretrievably lost
> somewhere in cyberspace.  I did an improved version and posted here; the
> only thing I did different this time was that I didn't cross-post to
> news.software.readers.  I'll try cross-posting to alt.test and
> newsreader.test to see if that's the problem.
>
> Anyway, perhaps you didn't get my earlier point about what I'm trying to
> achieve because I didn't explain that I'm using a spool for the news.  I
> get the news with slrnpull and it goes into the archives so I don't have
> to worry about Gnus connecting to the internet all the time.  I don't
> worry about *keeping* or *losing* articles because I already have them
> and will expire them when I so choose.  I handle expiration, not Gnus,
> but I would still want to be able to mark them as expirable (E) with the
> understanding that once I say expire they will not be shown next
> session.  Those that I read will get marked with R but will continue to
> show up on the summary session after session (perhaps marked O in
> subsequent ones) until I expire them too.  The problem is that Gnus
> treats the R and E marks as commands to delete or expire when exiting
> the current session, and I want it to mark them and leave the commanding
> to me, in the current or subsequent sessions.

If you use the registry it _might_ (this is all complete speculation) be
possible to add some custom marks to gnus-registry-marks: say "My
Pending Expire" and "My Pending Read". These marks would be meaningless
except that you'd write a custom function that found them and turned
them into the "real" expire and read marks.

I totally made that up; there's any number of reasons why it might not
work...