Re: [Gnus] persistent marks

From: ernobe
Subject: Re: [Gnus] persistent marks
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 10:34:06 -0600

> If you use the registry it _might_ (this is all complete speculation) be
> possible to add some custom marks to gnus-registry-marks: say "My
> Pending Expire" and "My Pending Read". These marks would be meaningless
> except that you'd write a custom function that found them and turned
> them into the "real" expire and read marks.
>
> I totally made that up; there's any number of reasons why it might not
> work...

Of course if I knew how to do that I'd probably be able to change the
default keys instead.  The problem with knowing (at least for an
independent investigator like myself) is that there's the Emacs Lisp
language on the one hand, and the Gnus Manual on the other.  But have
you tried reading the manual with 'C-h i'?  I don't see how to navigate
it without getting lost.  If I only follow the 'Up' 'Next' 'Previous'
links at the top of the page, I can get back to my original starting
point, but if I follow links within the page, I can't hit a 'back' link
to get back to my original starting point.  So I downloaded the
documentation and turned it into a single .info file, then used 'pinfo'
to read it.  Why there isn't a sane way to read it within Emacs, I don't
know.

I haven't looked at the Emacs Lisp documentation yet but suspect it is
also not meant to help the independent researcher.  Like college
textbooks, these manuals are meant to be read by people who are under
adult supervision in their researching.

--
"The world of existence is an emanation of the merciful attribute of God."
Abdu'l-Baha