Re: Fire defun by typing keyword

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Fire defun by typing keyword
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 23:26:41 +0100

Emanuel Berg wrote:

> While I still think this aspect is grossly overlooked, I
> don't think it is "all about that" anymore. I certainly
> have the time to write a for loop now and then without
> my mind beaming away in some other direction, hopelessly
> lost forever after.

I don't think it's "grossly overlooked".  In Java, verbosity is so bad
that a lot of tooling has sprung up around helping with this kind of
thing.  I guess every Java "IDE" allows you to add a member to a class
and then auto-create getter and setter for it.  And Eclipse at least has
this template for a for loop that does just what I suggested.

I think it's a matter of the amount of verbosity.  In Java, it never
bothered me to write a for loop, so I didn't use IDE support for that.
But I've used IDE support more than once for getters and setters :-(

I wonder how the Ada community approaches this aspect.

Kai