Re: Fire defun by typing keyword

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Fire defun by typing keyword
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:50:30 +0100

I went to the public library today and read the current
issue of "Linux Magazine", in which there is a small
piece on this. Apparently, the Ubuntu people have been
working on Mir as a replacement for X, mostly because
they need it for the smartphone version of Ubuntu.

For the laptop version, they will include a script that
assesses the hardware: if it is deemed sufficient, Mir
will run, and otherwise, X will run (so X will still be
provided, and with XMir in between).

So, in all fairness, Ubuntu did *not* drop X because of
"look and feel" hysteria. They dropped it because it
wasn't good enough for smartphones, and then they
wanted it on laptops as well to get consistency.

This is of course only mildly better than my first
assessment. I don't think the other distros eventually
will use Mir, so it would still have been best to just
improve X (or Wayland), of course in collaboration with
Debian, and all other distros that uses X (and indeed
even the BSD people, perhaps!).

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573