Re: Line number where eval-after-load is defined in my .emacs file

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Line number where eval-after-load is defined in my .emacs file
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:43:42 +0100

Hi Thien-Thi,

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> () "Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
>
>    So the question boils down to: is it possible to access/save the line
>    number of where the macro is called (in my .emacs file)?
>
> Under some circumstances, yes.  Here is a quick sketch:
>
> that demonstrates the basic technique, and illustrates the primary
> shortcomings -- unreliability and imprecision (if you use it, you will
> undoubtedly discover the other shortcomings, soon enough :-D).
>
> To play, save to disk, ‘M-x load-file’ it, and then examine the
> *Messages* buffer.

This looks quite close to what I'm looking for -- thanks!

However, when trying to adapt it with the `eval-after-load' form:

(defmacro my-with-eval-after-load (file &rest body)
  `(let ((loc (when (bufferp standard-input)
                (with-current-buffer standard-input
                  (save-excursion
                    (forward-sexp -1)
                    (when (search-forward "(my-with-eval-after-load" nil t)
                      (1+ (count-lines (point-min)
                                       (match-beginning 0)))))))))
     (eval-after-load ,file
       '(progn
         (message "BEG Running block at line %S..."
                  ,loc)
         ,@body
         (message "END Running block at line %S..."
                  ,loc)))))

(my-with-eval-after-load "org"
  (message "Quite early!"))

(progn
  (message "one...")
  (my-with-eval-after-load "org" (message "greetings earthlings"))
  (message "two...")
  (my-with-eval-after-load "org" (message "that's all for now"))
  (message "three..."))

(my-with-eval-after-load "org" (message "Quite late?"))

I do have the error:

  cons: Symbol's value as variable is void: loc

when evaluating it... and I don't understand what I got wrong.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban