Re: Gnus state, feed commands

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus state, feed commands
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:50:11 +0700

>> Beats me, I haven't looked into the code. But I'd
>> expect to get back the same number gnus shows next to
>> the group name in the *Group* buffer. For me, at
>> least, I only got that from gnus-group-unread.
>
> Aha, good point - what do you have as
> `gnus-group-line-format'? I have %N which is "Number of
> unread articles (integer)" - perhaps you have %U -
> "Number of unseen articles (integer)"?

I've got %y, which is unread and unticked.

I finally went and looked it up: unseen means the message has never
before been displayed in a summary buffer, or seen by gnus or you.
Unread means you just haven't read it. In my case, while experimenting,
I had removed the read mark from three messages in gmane.emacs.help,
then tested from the *Group* buffer. That meant those message were
"seen" but "unread", hence the discrepancy. It's good to have the two
functions -- I can imagine different people wanting different things.