Re: point of "buffer still has clients" message

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: point of "buffer still has clients" message
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:55:53 -0500

In article <mailman.7173.1385478804.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Jarek Czekalski <jarekczek@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> W dniu 2013-11-25 18:07, Eli Zaretskii pisze:
> >> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:52:10 +0100
> >> From: Jarek Czekalski <jarekczek@poczta.onet.pl>
> >>
> >> I don't see a point of "buffer still has clients, kill it" message.
> > The second one explains the reason quite clearly, I think.  You need
> > to release the client when the file is safely stored on disk.  How
> > else you suggest to do this, except by a special command?
>
> There must be a misunderstanding between us. The question appears when I
> try to kill the buffer. I don't see any connection with "safely storing
> on disk". What's more, this question is asked even if I try to kill the
> buffer right after storing it safely on disk.
>
> I ask this on user list, because there may be a substantial lack of
> knowledge on my side, which may be suplemented by experienced Emacs users.
>
> I suggest to do it as it is currently done, without bothering user with
> a question, which they always answer with "yes".

When you have EDITOR set to most editors, the client starts a new editor
process, you edit the file, save it, and then exit the editor. The
client waits for the editor to exit, then it will use the result.

But when you use emacsclient, it's not so simple. Emacs keeps on running
after you save the file. Emacsclient is waiting for a message from emacs
telling it that it you're done, so it should exit, and then its client
application can use the result. You do this with the server-edit (C-x #)
command.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA