Re: Font in mode line

From: Francesco Mazzoli
Subject: Re: Font in mode line
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:26:35 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
> By "wrongly" you mean that it looks like a different font was actually
> used?  Because I cannot see anything wrong with the display shown in
> that screenshot.

By "wrongly" I mean that the font is not displayed as it should.  Compare my
first screenshot <http://i.imgur.com/QUHaWnj.png>, to the second
<http://i.imgur.com/o9QcxLr.png> to see what I mean.

> If the font seems to be the problem, then please use format-mode-line
> to format a line of text using that font, then type "C-u C-x =" on one
> of the characters that are rendered incorrectly, and see which font
> was actually used for its display.  That might give a clue about
> what's going on.

I'm fairly sure the font is the correct one, since I can see I change when,
for example, I change specifically the `mode-line-buffer-id' face.  I'm not
sure how to use `format-mode-line' the way you described.  If I format `mode-
line-format' there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to infer the faces that
are used to render the various elements.  If I format some plain string it is
returned as-is.

Francesco