Re: change cursor type

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: change cursor type
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:30:11 +0100

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

>>> I want to change the cursor from box to bar
>>> style. Apparently, the variable cursor-type is not
>>> a "user-option" variable and so doesn't respond to
>>> M-x set-variable. I'm not clear on this distinction
>>> between user-option and "non-user-option"
>>> variables, and the manual doesn't seem to say
>>> anything about it (I could be mistaken but I didn't
>>> find anything). Can anyone tell me how to change
>>> the value of cursor-type to "bar"? I'd like the
>>> change to be global.  Thanks so much.
>
> Can't tell what this is, except that the original
> post date is May 2010.

OK, well, it is interesting nonetheless. Isn't this
something that has to be setup in the terminal
emulator?

In a Linux VT, which is what I use, I get a block
cursor the same color as the face below (which is
great). But if I run 'emacs -nw' in X, in urxvt, and on
top of tmux, I get the underscore.

I know you can disable cursor blink like this:

(blink-cursor-mode -1)

Although it is probably just as good (better) to do
that in the terminal emulator as well, as in

echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink

in /etc/rc.local (on Debian at least) and...

funny, I can't find either getting the block cursor for
the VTs *or* the X terminals, nor the nonblink. But I
remember I did that. Of course, there has been so much
configuration...

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573