Re: Gnus does not see new mail in Maildirs

From: Alexis Praga
Subject: Re: Gnus does not see new mail in Maildirs
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:48:47 +0100

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:26:19PM +0000, William G. Gardella wrote:
> "g" from the *Group* buffer should Just Work now.  All messages in new/,
> and all messages not marked as Seen in cur/, will count towards the group's
> Unread count.  If this isn't working yet, it's likely that there is
> something else strange going on with your config.
>
> As per the Maildir standard, MTAs/MDAs which are compatible with the
> Maildir format deliver to new/, and when flags (for example "Seen") are
> appended, the mail is moved from new/ to cur/ with the filename altered
> appropriately, e.g. ~/Mail/Inbox/new/[some-maildir-id] becomes
> ~/Mail/Inbox/cur/[some-maildir-id];S when marked Seen by Gnus.

I have been doing some tests by moving old mails in Inbox/new and
testing the different configurations.

At the moment, Mutt (which works correctly) moves the mail from
Inbox/new to Inbox/cur and appends a ';S' to the name as you say.
However, when starting Gnus, new mail is directly moved to Inbox/cur
without the Seen flag. And after reading it, the Seen flag is still
not appended !

Can it be due to some file locking ?
Also, would it help to do some kind of reinitialization of gnus ?

--
Alexis Praga, PhD Student (CERFACS)
GPG key : 66F9 4BD4 70EC E5D5 2AA4  9097 0673 7CE2 4671 306F