Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 17:46:03 +0100

> Have you looked at the Emacs project page:
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
>
> Here is a page of recent manuals.
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/index.html

Thanks, no I haven't seen either of those pages. Since
I discovered Gnus, I'm not surfing the web at all,
almost. Except I use w3m to sometimes read
documentation and to get the magnet links to download
material. But I configured that so to a great extent
I'm "bypassing" the web to get directly to what I
need. I can't say I like the Internet, but I love Gnus,
Usenet, and listbots. I think that's mostly because I'm
so text-oriented. Even though I can use w3m to surf the
web, and w3m is great from the "w3m point of view",
however the Achilles's heel is that all the webpages are
designed with the GUI browser in mind. That way, pages
are bloated with material, and they use different fonts,
font sizes, colors, etc. to communicate the "hierarchy"
what's important and what's not. When you view such a
page in w3m, you just get overwhelmed. But I guess if
people wrote HTML/CSS with a clear distinction what is
content and what is style, that would - *help*, but I
don't think even that would solve this problem
altogether. It seems to be a problem of technology
which you cannot solve with technology.

Copy: the w3m list

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573