Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 21:57:33 +0100

> These are the lists that I read
>
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.sources
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.devel
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.announce
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.cedet
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.user
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.bugs
>          0: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.help

Now I'm on gmane as well. Yeah, it was only a matter of
chaining -

;; (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))

- and this is the same as gnu.emacs.help, only... I
only see *some* of my messages - on the other hand, if
Jambunathan has been on gmane all the while, it must
still work somehow, because he has answered those that
I do not see. (?)

Well, this is all a bit confusing. I don't know if I
should change. Because, just as I couldn't get to gmane
from Aioe, all those other newsgroups, for example

comp.unix.misc (*)
comp.unix.programmer (*)
comp.unix.shell (*)

are now unavailable.

Could you make a case that gmane is better than Aioe?

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573