Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:51:35 +0530

> Yes, I will go through my Elisp and for each defun, ask myself if it
> is something I did just because I like it that way or if it is
> something others could benefit from. I think most of it isn't, but I
> know some is, so I will do it.

Strange.  I went through precisely the same thoughts when I wrote the
first ever library I wanted to share.

So "merely" shifting your POV from "a user" to "a sharer" triggers a
different chain of thoughts.  Even if you don't share, this is a good
POV for it's own sake.

> When I'm done, should I post it on gnu.emacs.sources

Yes or You can say that you want to put it in GNU ELPA (if the library
is more useful).

You will get lots(?) of feedback from experienced lispers.  That is a
low traffic and high quality list, usually visited by folks who are
serious about Emacs Lisp and are not hesitant to have a conversation.

I think of mailing lists as dropbox (only that the dropbox is all over
the city) or as a pastebin.  I just "save" my little trick in the
mailing list and in a decade from now if I have to "retrieve" that
snippet all I have to do is search for my own posts.  The "side effect"
is that others can also hit upon it.