Re: ispell: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/german" can not be opened for read

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: ispell: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/german" can not be opened for reading.
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:44:24 +0100

Peter Dyballa (Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE) wrote:

> Am 02.12.2013 um 17:11 schrieb Karl Voit:
>
> > Therefore, I guess that missing language definition is not my
> > issue, isn't it?
>
> Yes. I think your problem is that you are not using the correct
> syntax in the files. In a file's footer you would have to use:
>
>   %%% Local Variables:
>   %%% mode: LaTeX
>   %%% flyspell-default-dictionary: "german8"
>   %%% End:

No change of my issue.

> In the header you would use:
>
>   %% -*- mode: LaTeX; flyspell-default-dictionary: "german8"; -*-

Good to know, thanks.

> BTW, does it work to switch (change) dictionaries manually?

No.

In a file whose local var is set to german8, I often have to change
to british or american. Therefore, I am using a custom defun of
mine. Does not work either.

Btw, I had to change from en_US, en_GB, and de_AT to american,
british, and german8 respectively. This was caused by an issue of
Windows [2] which I had to start using in addition to my Linux and OS X
boxes (sharing the same .emacs.d[1]).

With the old naming scheme (de_AT, en_US, ...) it worked fine at
least on my non-Windows machines.

  1. https://github.com/novoid/dot-emacs

  2. My Windows spellchecker is only able to use german8 instead of
  de_AT. My other boxes should be fine with both naming conventions.

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are