Re: change cursor type

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: change cursor type
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 03:42:09 +0100

"Daniel E. Doherty" <ded-law@ddoherty.net> writes:

> Here is what I have in my init file to change cursor
> type and color based on the mode.  This is an
> org-mode init, so just the SRC blocks.

What?

None of it works for me. But never mind, I don't want
it. I don't want the cursor to be based on the mode,
because in one mode there could be (should be) many
colors, and the cursor should reflect that (depending
on what is being typed at the moment).

But I can share one interesting thing. I set faces like
this:

(custom-set-faces
 '(default ((t (:foreground "cyan" :background "black" :bold nil))))
 ;; ...

It is a clear way to setup colors, and fast (just
eval-defun, and you'll see the changes) - anyway, to
get a cyan cursor where there is no face, and no text,
that :background "black" does it. Without it, I get a
white cursor in those cases. I don't know why, but it
took me some time before I got it right (by intuition)
so I thought I'd mention it here.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573