Re: select text without moving the point in graphical interface

From: Ernest Adrogué
Subject: Re: select text without moving the point in graphical interface
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 21:41:58 +0100

 8-12-2013, 12:24 (-0800); Drew Adams escriu:

> > > yes
> >
> > How?
>
> How do you do it in Emacs in terminal mode?  Same way, I guess.
>
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question.  Why don't you provide
> a recipe of the behavior you are looking for, which you already
> enjoy when "running emacs in a terminal"?
>
> I thought you were asking whether you can ever select text in Emacs
> without moving the cursor.  The answer to that is yes, you can
> sometimes, and regardless of whether Emacs is in console mode or
> uses a graphical interface.
>
> An example: `C-M-SPC' selects the sexp that follows point, without
> moving point.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant selecting text using the mouse.

In a terminal, the mouse is independent from emacs and it doesn't interfere
with it in any perceivable way, except when I paste something with a middle
click.  I think it's the terminal program, and not emacs, who handles the
mouse inputs.

In a GUI, it doesn't work the same way - as soon as I click anywhere the
point moves to that location.  I was wondering if tweaking some options I
could make GUI emacs behave more or less like when it runs inside a
terminal.  For example, to be able to select text (using the X cursor)
without moving emacs's point in the process.

Regards.