RE: select text without moving the point in graphical interface

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: select text without moving the point in graphical interface
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 10:16:21 -0800 (PST)

> > At least with `emacs -Q -nw' on MS Windows 7, for me, `C-h k' does
> > not seem to recognize any mouse actions.
>
> It should.  Sometimes the first mouse click in a -nw session is
> misreported by Windows, so the first time you might need to click
> twice.  If that doesn't work either, then either (a) you click on an
> area where a mouse click is not bound to any command, or (b) you have
> the "Quick Edit" option checked in the Properties of the command
> prompt window.  In the latter case, uncheck it and try again.

Yes, I had Quick Edit on. Turning it off does as you describe. Thx.

But mouse-2 does not seem to paste what I've selected (even if I use
`M-w'). I just get the error "No selection is available".  The
debugger shows that (x-get-selection 'PRIMARY) returns nil.  I tried
fiddling with `select-active-regions' and `x-select-enable-*', but
that didn't help.

Anyway, it's OK.  I don't really use `emacs -nw' for anything more
than some quick sanity testing of code.