Re: About abbrevs and spaces at end of line

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: About abbrevs and spaces at end of line
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:03:49 +0100

Am 11.12.2013 13:29, schrieb Harry Putnam:
Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

Am 10.12.2013 12:08, schrieb Harry Putnam:
Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

Am 09.12.2013 22:46, schrieb Harry Putnam:
Is there some smooth way to avoid having a space at the end of line
when activating an abbrev as the last thing done before newline?

[...]

The short and long is: Invoking with spc leaves unsightly marks like
an underscore if done at the end of a line and invoking with <RET> is
not always desirable if a new line is not needed.

[...]

I have visions of some tricky way of setting up an abbrev with hardly
any more effort than the normal

      M-x edit-abbrevs <RET>

      "tru"       0          "\"TRUE\";"

In the cperl-table, then pressing C-c

Where I only need to edit the cperl abbrev table.

Problem results from binding abbrev-expand to SPACE.
Abbrev is expanded, than SPACE is inserted, as you typed it.

Solution: abbrev-mode off. Use any other key to M-x expand-abbrev RET.
This will expand it, but not insert a space.

Thank you.

After looking into this a bit, I'm not seeing a handy way to set
something else permanently.

In fact it appears there are nearly half a dozen ways to invoke
expansion.

space, <RET>, C-x ' (At least two more key combos that I already
forgot)

So there must be a list or regex or something.

Do you mean "list of keys"?

I'm suggesting there must already be a list of keys that invoke
expansion.

I'd like to add some other char to the list somehow.

Are you asking how to bind another key onto expand-abbrev command?

You seemed to be suggesting that could be done when you said:

Yes, there is a plenty of unused combos to employ.
For example that one:

(global-set-key [(super \{)] 'expand-abbrev)