Re: interactive interface to supply variables

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: interactive interface to supply variables
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 01:46:49 +0100

> I installed emacs24-el and in help-fns.el I saw how
> they did it in `describe-variable' - this is a
> variation of their method, only, to determine if it
> is a variable, they use
>
> (or (get vv 'variable-documentation)
>     (and (boundp vv)
>          (not (keywordp vv)))))
>
> while I use `boundp' only - I don't know what
> `keywordp' brings.

`keywordp' is to exclude keywords. Those are not
special forms like "defun", or even "if", but instead
:foreground, :bold, anything that starts with a colon.

`boundp' will always eval to t for those, as they are
bound to their names.

Perhaps it makes sense to exclude those, as those
aren't variables, for sure.

But this is possible

(defvar :var-looks-like-keyword)

though further assignment is not (?).

So I don't think I'll add that. It doesn't hurt to have
it say that :bold is :bold.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573