Re: gnuplot persist does not work using Emacs comint

From: Alex van der Spek
Subject: Re: gnuplot persist does not work using Emacs comint
Date: 16 Dec 2013 20:51:34 GMT

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:57:47 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Alex van der Spek wrote:
>> ~/$ gnuplot -p -e 'plot x'
>> But when executing this as a comint process, i.e. using Emacs as the
>> shell script editor and running the shell script it does not. The plot
>> is generated and disappears immediately.
>
> How are you doing this?  When I tried the above it worked for me in that
> the window persisted.  Please say exactly what it is that you are doing
> so that others may recreate the issue.  Also please say the version of
> emacs you are using.  And also what operating system you are using.
>
>> difficult for me at this stage. Not quite sure what comint is to begin
>> with.
>
> The comint.el file describes itself this way:
>
> ;; This file defines a general command-interpreter-in-a-buffer package
> ;; (comint mode).  The idea is that you can build specific
> process-in-a-buffer ;; modes on top of comint mode -- e.g., Lisp, shell,
> scheme, T, soar, .... ;; This way, all these specific packages share a
> common base functionality, ;; and a common set of bindings, which makes
> them easier to use (and ;; saves code, implementation time, etc., etc.).
>
> Bob

Sorry about that! The Emacs version is:

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2012-05-18 on roseapple, modified by Debian

Working under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

When I open a buffer with M-x shell and subsequently give the gnuplot
command everything works as expected. The plot window persists.

When I open a shell buffer C-x C-f try.sh and enter the same gnuplot call
it does produce the plot window (after making the saved bash script
executable) and executing it with C-c C-x but this does not persist. The
interpretation buffer contents after execution is:

-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/" -*-
Comint started at Mon Dec 16 21:50:15

/home/alex/try.sh

Comint finished at Mon Dec 16 21:50:15

Hope this helps.