Re: .emacs poser

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: .emacs poser
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 18:58:14 -0800

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 03:03:26 +0100
Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:
>
> > Registered ® and the Maltese Cross ✠.  ("C-x 8 * R"
> > and "C-x 8 * M", respectively, using iso-transl.  I
> > added both those characters myself.  It's very easy.)
>
> It might be easy to *add* such keystrokes, but they are
> not easy to hit. We are typists, not accordion players.

Once upon a time, in my mis-spent youth, I was.  :-)
That said, the only chord there is the C-x.  The rest are a
sequence of keystrokes.  Err, well, on a US keyboard anyway.  I
can't speak for European keyboards.

> Again, why would anyone need those chars on a regular
> basis? (Not a rhetorical question!)

It depends on what your use-case is.  Personally, I type up a lot
of recipes, which usually want a temperature setting.  Hence I use
the degree symbol (°) a lot.  I have occasional use for super- and
sub-script characters, and the ever popular copyright (©),
trademark (™), and registered trademark signs (®).  If I need
anything more demanding, like en and em dashes, or primes instead
of quotes, I'll fire up a text processor and go that way.  Of
course, in a purely text forum, like this, someone would
undoubtedly complain if I were to attach the entire message as a
PDF.

There are certain organizations that want their documents written
in a certain format, which may include Pilcrow and Section marks,
and other such things.  Happily, I don't deal with those.  (Again,
I'd use LaTeX or Groff for that.)

> If you, in certain *words* need those chars, how about
> using abbrev to do that for you? So you type the word
> without the special char(s), and abbrev fixes it as you
> hit space (or some other delimiter): e.g., you type
> Marquez to get Márquez.

That's limiting yourself.  If you need accented characters, learn
how to enter them in a general way, not just specific words.  Then
you can use them anywhere.  As I mentioned in my previous post,
check EmacsWiki for information about that.

Anyway, these are all just my opinions.  If you prefer a different
way, more power to you.

--Dale

--
"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube
will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.  In the