Re: .emacs poser

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: .emacs poser
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:01:18 +0700

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

>> Footnotes: [1] I have no idea why anybody would have
>> a use for that key's original function on anything
>> but a mechanic typewriter. Other than SHOUTING YOUR
>> LUNGS OUT…
>
> *And* for #define C_CONSTANT and for non-parameters in
> SQL (SELECT year ... ) - though when you think of it,
> that convention probably should be dropped. It is just
> that your eyes are used it it, so it will be like
> teaching an old dog how to sit.

Writing keywords in all caps used to be popular in case-insensitive
languages until syntax highlighting editors became the norm. Nowadays,
it’s not quite as frequent.

If/when there comes a day when most editors (IDEs?) can reliably
detect preprocessor macros and highlight them with a dangerous-looking
shade of red, the all-caps convention for #defines can also be
dropped.