Re: byte-compile-file: emacs vs the command line.

From: R. Clayton
Subject: Re: byte-compile-file: emacs vs the command line.
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:23:12 -0500

Thank you for your reply to my message.

> So at least you should try
>       EMACSLOADPATH=${EMACSLOADPATH}:~/lib/emacs/lisp ...

True, but for me EMACSLOADPATH is undefined ("which is usually the case"
according to section 15.9 of the elisp manual)

  $ env | grep EM

  $

When EMACSLOADPATH is undefined, the two ways of setting it are (more or less)
equivalent (I write "more or less" because I don't know how emacs treats null
directories in the load path).

> What you did not try yet is:
>
>       EMACSLOADPATH="" emacs --batch ...
>
> This makes the environment variable EMACSLOADPATH empty so that GNU Emacs can
> use its compile time default.  Maybe this internal setting is enough and you
> don't need to set EMACSLOADPATH externally…

I don't see how this helps.  Running batch emacs essentially uses compile-time
defaults, which I've already established can't find the file being required.

> And if you are building GNU Emacs yourself you can configure it with
> --enable-locallisppath=<whichever extra paths you need> so that it will find
> all Emacs Lisp repositories ion your system.

True, but compared to calling an extra elisp function, building emacs with
special purpose defaults seems way over the top to me, and not something I want
to do every time I have a new directory of elisp code to search for.

> To be is to do.
>                       – I. Kant
> To do is to be.
>                       – A. Sartre