Re: byte-compile-file: emacs vs the command line.

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: byte-compile-file: emacs vs the command line.
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:27:19 +0100

Am 30.12.2013 um 17:23 schrieb R. Clayton:

> Running batch emacs essentially uses compile-time
> defaults, which I've already established can't find the file being required.
>
>> And if you are building GNU Emacs yourself you can configure it with
>> --enable-locallisppath=<whichever extra paths you need> so that it will find
>> all Emacs Lisp repositories ion your system.
>
> True, but compared to calling an extra elisp function, building emacs with
> special purpose defaults seems way over the top to me, and not something I
> want
> to do every time I have a new directory of elisp code to search for.

OK! Then just try to add all missing extra paths to directories with local
Emacs Lisp additions to load-path in the system-wide init file, site-start.el.
I think in batch mode this file is loaded because 'emacs --help' tells that
--batch works like -q or --no-init-file.

When you launch GNU Emacs with -Q you can check the compile-time value of
load-path. I think in any of these directories you can create the
site-run-file. Then determine the missing paths – if you haven't done yet – and
move from your personal init file the lines which extend load-path to the
site-run-file!

--
Greetings

  Pete

When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
                                – Steffen Hokland