Re: why not "stripes" in: (let ((zebra 'stripes) ... ; strings vs symbol

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: why not "stripes" in: (let ((zebra 'stripes) ... ; strings vs symbols?
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 18:26:56 +0100

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> When I was in school I was training for cycling races
> -- used to get up every morning and 'practice' (which
> means cycle) for almost an hour. ...

Cool story!

Of course: the brain is part of the body, and the body
is a brain. A much better brain than lots of smart guys
tend to reckon, I reckon.

When you go to sleep, try memorizing a castle with 10
rooms, and in each room: 10 items.

If you can't do it, there are tricks like having the
rooms and items in ABC order, and having each room
stick to a *theme*:

A (the first room) is the *armory* - items:
a - armor, b - bow, c - cloak, d - dagger, ...
B (the second room) is the *bakery* - items: ...

Now, try doing this exercise after 1) being frustrated
at your fast food job, and 2) after doing something
pleasant with Lisp and then digging a trench somewhere
in the forest until you hands hurt. After doing 2),
you can ace the entire exercise but after 1), your
thoughts will be messy with bling-blong, stress,
customers flashing back and fourth...

To be a good programmer, you need to program yourself
as much as the software. I am very disappointed with
the computer industry, which I think is a bunch of
idiots (mostly, those I met anyway) but since
programming gave me a clear head, I still don't regret
doing it so much, even though I don't think I'll be a
rich superstar anytime soon the way the industry looks.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573